Towson Prenuptial Agreement Lawyers
Couples planning to marry in the state of Maryland should give serious consideration to entering into a prenuptial agreement. Sometimes referred to as premarital agreements, prenuptial agreements are important financial planning tools that can give both parties entering into the marriage peace of mind and financial security as they begin their lives together. The experienced Maryland family law attorneys at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC work with couples in the drafting of these important legally binding agreements.
Safeguarding the financial future prior to getting married does not have to be just for wealthy or celebrity couples. The unique circumstances of each couple planning to wed can be addressed through the use of prenuptial agreements. In certain circumstances, it becomes particularly important to have a prenuptial agreement in place prior to entering into marriage. These circumstances include:
- When one or both spouses are entering the marriage with significant personal debts or other financial obligations,
- When there are children from previous relationships,
- When one spouse has agreed to support the other spouse while the spouse obtains a higher degree of education (including college, medical school, law school or graduate school) or other professional training,
- When one or both spouses have significant business interests prior to the marriage,
- When one or both spouses has received or may receive a large inheritance,
- When the marriage is not the first marriage for one or both spouses,
- When one spouse has substantially more assets than the other, and;
- When one spouse will be staying home to raise a family in lieu of a potentially lucrative career.
Prenuptial Agreements in Maryland
Using an experienced Towson family lawyer can help ensure that the prenuptial agreement will be enforceable in the event of marital separation or divorce. The drafting and enforcement of prenuptial agreements requires a strong understanding of the complexities of Maryland family law.
All Maryland prenuptial agreements:
- Must be in writing and signed by both spouses,
- Must contain “fair” terms that are not unduly burdensome to either spouse,
- Cannot be used to restrict child visitation, support or custody rights,
- Must be entered into freely and willingly by each spouse with no evidence of coercion, fraud or duress,
- Must reflect a true disclosure of all financial information from both spouses including property, bank accounts, business interests, financial assets and liabilities, and;
- Should reflect the fact that both parties had their own legal representation.
Many states, not including Maryland, have already adopted the Uniform Premarital and Marital Agreement Act (UPMAA) which changed the requirements of the Uniform Premarital Agreement Act (UPAA). In equitable distribution states like Maryland, prenuptial agreements can be especially helpful in the event that a marriage dissolves. At Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC, our Towson prenuptial agreement lawyers are experienced with evaluating prenuptial issues.
Enforcing Maryland Prenuptial Agreements
If your spouse is challenging the enforcement of the terms of your prenuptial agreement or if you are challenging the enforcement of an improperly drafted or unfair prenuptial agreement, you need an experienced divorce lawyer on your side to protect your rights. The dedicated Hunt Valley divorce lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC have handled prenuptial agreement cases where the validity of the prenuptial agreement is challenged on the basis of: inclusion of improper provisions (such as those related to the determination of child support and custody issues), unconscionable clauses (including those which result in financial hardship to a spouse), failure to disclose assets, and coercion or duress.
Towson Family Lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC Handle Prenuptial Agreement Issues
The experienced Towson family law lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC can work with you to assist in your premarital legal planning needs. Our dedicated Baltimore divorce attorneys also assist divorcing couples in the enforcement of prenuptial agreements.
With offices conveniently located in Hunt Valley, our Baltimore family lawyers represent clients throughout Baltimore County, Harford County, Carroll County and Howard County, including Bel Air, Columbia, Essex, and Towson, MD with all their family law legal needs including those related to divorce, child support, alimony, prenuptial agreements, same sex marriage and child custody. To schedule your free confidential consultation today, call Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC at 443-589-0150 or submit an online inquiry form.