Maryland Estate Law & Guardianship
Attorneys Who Understand Your Long-term Needs
Handling estate matters and assisting the elderly can be stressful. Huesman, Jones and Miles, LLC works with you to lessen the burden. Our attorneys draft wills and other documents to help you plan for the future. If your loved one has passed, we help you take the necessary steps to handle the estate. And if you have a relative who is no longer able to make decisions on his or her own, we can help you get a guardian appointed.
You can make choices now that will give you peace of mind later. Our attorneys help you create your:
- Will — to make your wishes known about the distribution of your assets to your beneficiaries
- Trust — if you need help managing your estate during your lifetime
- Power of attorney — to assign another person to make financial decisions for you, now or in the event that you are incapacitated
- Advance medical directive — to inform your doctors about your preferences regarding life-sustaining treatment
With our assistance, you can have a basic estate plan that effectively provides for your own care during your lifetime and for your family after you are gone.
When you are named as the executor of a will, you are responsible for seeing the estate through probate. Our attorneys can help you carry out your duties, which include:
- Filing a petition to initiate the probate process
- Taking inventory of the estate
- Paying the estate’s debts
- Distributing assets to the beneficiaries
- Closing the estate
Our lawyers also help you fulfill your fiduciary responsibilities when you are a trustee.
When your loved one is no longer able to make independent decisions, our attorneys help you petition the court for a guardianship. You may choose to be a guardian over the ward’s:
- Property — the authority to manage the ward’s assets
- Person — the responsibility for making healthcare decisions and ensuring a safe living environment for the ward
Our attorneys can also help you designate the person you would want to be your guardian should you become incapacitated. We then represent your interests when your guardian is appointed and ensure the terms of the guardianship are in accordance with your intentions.
Depend on our Lawyers for Help Addressing your Estate Issues
You need to feel confident in your attorney’s advice when you address estate planning, administration and guardianship matters. Huesman, Jones and Miles, LLC gives you the peace of mind you require. To find out how our legal team can help you, contact us online or call us at 443-589-0150 for a free consultation.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]