Towson Divorce Lawyers
Handling Family Law Matters in Towson, Maryland
Each state has its own unique laws that affect how family law is approached. At Huesman, Jones and Miles, LLC, we understand all aspects of family law and use our experience in mediation, divorce proceedings, high assest divorce cases, child custody and child support to create plans for families that work within the law.
Divorce in Towson
A knowledgeable Towson divorce lawyer can help navigate the confusing process and make sure the separation period goes smoothly for all parties. We help prepare our clients every step of the way. We also explore options to expedite the process. Our lawyers can help you figure out the best plan for your circumstances.
Towson Divorce Mediation
If you and your spouse are ready to go separate ways, much of the divorce proceedings can happen outside of court. Rather than amplifying already hurt and confused feelings, our Towson divorce lawyers keep as much out of the courtroom as possible to maintain our clients’ control and options in the decision-making process of divorce. The best resolution is the one the parties arrive at themselves. We help guide you through that process.
We prioritize the aspects of divorce that are the most important to you as we navigate through divorce proceedings. However, sometimes mediation is unsuccessful. If mediation does not work for you, litigation is possible at any step in order to protect your legal rights. While fair compromise is one of the goals, our top priority is protecting our clients against potential complications and unfair settlements.
Alimony and Spousal Support
If one spouse has become reliant on the other, they may be entitled to spousal support in order to maintain their quality of life. Alimony is not automatic. However, alimony or spousal support may come into play when one party is economically dependent on the other or if there is a substantial disparity in income. There are a few ways alimony can be decided in a divorce case:
- Pendente Lite Support – This support is a temporary award allotted before a final judgement of divorce. This support is meant to provide the status quo for all family members during a divorce proceeding.
- Indefinite Alimony – Indefinite alimony is awarded in cases that follow a long-term marriage when one spouse has far more earning potential than the other. Unless specifically agreed upon, this type of alimony can be modified if changes of circumstance can be proven.
- Limited Duration Alimony – This award is an option when the dissolved marriage lasted mid-length. This alimony is awarded for a limited time and is the most common form of spousal support. Like indefinite alimony, this type of award can be later modified if circumstances change.
- Rehabilitative Alimony –Similar to limited duration alimony, this type of award is only for a set amount of time. This type of spousal support is set to help one of the spouses gain economic independence while maintaining their lifestyle during the change. During this time, the spouse may complete further education or seek job training to improve employment prospects.
- Nonmodifiable Alimony – This is a form of alimony where the parties specifically agree to a certain amount of alimony for a specified period of time, and it generally cannot be modified.
Marital Property Issues
Another important component is the resolution of marital property. The courts attempt to achieve an equitable distribution of the marital property. In that case, assets that were acquired will be evenly and fairly distributed between the two divorcing parties. Interest or appreciation that was accrued during marriage on previously acquired assets may also be evaluated during divorce proceedings. While many spouses focus on tangible personal property like furniture, the biggest items are usually the family home and retirement accounts. We attempt to help you understand the sometimes complicated property issues and seek a resolution that suits your needs.
Other Family Law Issues
Family law extends beyond divorce. For some, the divorce case has already taken place and they now need a parenting plan to help smooth the transition for their children. For other families, there may be grandparents’ rights or property division that needs the care of a Towson family law lawyer to help make sure everyone’s rights and legal options are considered. Our legal team helps address issues in those topics along with post-divorce modifications, child custody, child support, modifications to child support, prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, domestic violence, fathers’ rights and more.
Towson Divorce Lawyers at Huesman, Jones and Miles, LLC Help Families through Divorce, Custody, Alimony and Other Family Law Issues
No two family law cases are the same. Our seasoned Towson divorce lawyers at Huesman, Jones and Miles, LLC know how to carefully handle the sensitive topics of family law while leaving no stone unturned to reach a fair settlement for everyone involved. If you are considering divorce or do not know your legal rights in a custody case, call us at 443-589-0150 or contact us online today for a free consultation on how we can put our experience to work for you.