Google Screened

Baltimore Child Custody Lawyers Discuss Factors Involved in Modifying an Original Custody Order

A parenting plan, which is also called a custody order, is an agreement made by the divorced parents and approved by the court that lays out the specific details of the couple’s separation. The custody order includes important matters such as where and with whom the children will reside; with whom and how frequently they will visit; and who will make child support payments and their amount.

Spouses can request to make either minor or major modifications to their parenting plan. The example of a minor modification would be to request a change in the visiting days, while a major change would be to modify the custodial rights.

In both cases the person who requests the modification must convince the Court that there are good reasons for changing the existing Parenting Plan. Understandably, it is more difficult to secure a major than a minor modification.

To secure a minor modification, the requesting spouse must show that there has been a change or improvement in his or her life and that the modification would benefit the children. Securing a major modification is more complicated and is aided by one or some of the following factors:

  • Both parents agree to the new parenting plan.
  • The custodial parent has already allowed the children to live with the other parent for substantial periods of time.
  • The home of the custodial parent is unsafe and/or detrimental to the children’s health and well-being.
  • The custodial parent has been held in contempt of court multiple times for breaking the existing parenting plan.

Experienced Baltimore County Child Custody Lawyers:  Providing Assistance with Modifications to Parenting Plans

If you want to make a major modification to your existing parenting plan, it is important to note that these criteria are important. It is not enough only to have experienced a recent positive upswing in your life or financial circumstances to qualify for a change in your plan. And of course you need the guidance of an experienced family law attorney when modifying any parenting plan.  Call the experienced Baltimore Child Custody lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC in our Hunt Valley, MD office at (443) 589-0150 or you may contact us online.

av 2019 rating
avvo client choice award
avvo top contributor award
maryland chamber