Google Screened

How Can I Best Share Child Custody Over the Easter Holiday?

Baltimore Child Custody Lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC, Can Help to Resolve Custody Disputes.

Easter is one of the most popular family holidays and especially fun for children who get to participate in Easter egg hunts. It is the first big holiday in spring, and often accompanies the wonderful blooms and blossoms of the season.

Easter always falls on a Sunday, which makes it much easier for families to get together when with more people off work for the day. Even divorced or separated couples often get together so that the children can enjoy a family holiday.

Easter is April 17 this year. If you are divorced and have child custody agreements in place, you might not have your children around to help celebrate the Easter holiday. That does not mean you cannot celebrate without your children present. Some creative thinking and general cooperation could make it possible for both parents to enjoy Easter festivities with your children.

What is a Traditional Holiday Custody Schedule?

Child custody agreements often include holiday schedules that determine which parent should have the children during which holidays. Some are obvious, like the mother having custody for Mother’s Day and the father for Father’s Day.

Other holidays can and leave one parent with an empty nest on the big day. Many custody agreements will enable one parent to have custody on the holiday during even-numbered years, and when the same holiday falls on an odd-numbered year, the other parent will have custody for the holiday instead.

The alternating format for general holidays makes it fair for both parents, and also makes it easier to plan ahead for when you do have custody. Meanwhile, you do have the option of doing other things to celebrate the holidays when the children are away.

If you are someone who does not mind being alone on holidays, having an empty nest likely will not be an issue. If you have a new partner to help celebrate the big day, it is much easier to handle the occasional holiday with no children.

How Can I Make the Easter Holiday Last Longer?

The Easter holiday includes Good Friday as well as Easter Sunday. If you are on reasonably good terms with your former spouse, you might consider dividing the holiday into a four-day period that runs from Thursday night through Sunday.

One parent could have the children on Thursday and Friday. That would include time for the Good Friday religious observances that might be scheduled. It also would enable an early Easter celebration.

You could then transfer the children to your spouse on Saturday. That would enable them to enjoy the traditionally religious holiday that might include the normal festivities.

Can I Celebrate Easter With My Children On a Day Other Than Easter?

No one says that you have to celebrate Easter on Easter Sunday or any other holiday on a particular day. You could celebrate with your children either before or after the holiday and still enjoy a festive time together.

A post-Easter celebration might be especially beneficial and more affordable. Once Easter Sunday has passed, the holiday-specific items often wind up in the discount bin. You could buy Easter candy, egg-coloring kits, and decorations for significantly less than you could prior to the holiday.

You might decide to have a meal out at a favorite restaurant. Odds are good that it will not be as busy on the Sunday before or after Easter. It also might have better specials than it would during a busy Easter Sunday.

Celebrating holidays in a more non-traditional manner could be more fun for your children. After all, they get to have the same fun twice. You even could arrange a special Easter egg hunt with their friends and make it a more memorable day for all.

Flexibility Is Critical for Sharing Custody On Holidays

It is important to stay flexible during holidays when it is not your turn for child custody. It is important for children to have both parents involved in their lives.

When the judge in your divorce case determined the child custody schedule, their first concern was the well-being of your children. When you abide by the custody schedule, you are helping your children to have both parents involved in their lives.

It is important for your spouse to have time with your children. It helps to maintain some flexibility in your mutual schedules and compromise at times to enable both parents to stay involved with their children during important holidays and on birthdays.

Your former spouse might become abusive toward your children, addicted to drugs or alcohol, or otherwise an unfit parent.  That would give you a good reason to keep your children away from that person.

Many people unexpectedly follow the wrong path in life and wind up in situations that no one anticipated. If that happens to your ex-spouse, your children might be endangered while in that person’s custody.

The services of an experienced child custody lawyer might be needed to modify the existing custody agreement.

What Are My Legal Options for Child Custody Problems?

If your former spouse has become an unfit parent, you might be able to gain full custody of your children. You should document any instances of obvious negligence that occurred. An example could be leaving a child stranded at school when the parent was supposed to pick up the child.

If one or more children complain of abusive treatment, you should write down the details. If one or more children return with bruises or injuries while in the other parent’s custody, that could be evidence of abuse and neglect.

It might be possible that your former spouse is seeing someone who is a potential threat to your children. Someone who has a history of violence and a long criminal record could be a detrimental influence on your children, or worse.

You can obtain the services of an experienced child custody attorney to petition a court and possibly modify the custody agreement. That only should happen if you have good reason to conclude that your children no longer are safe while in staying with your ex.

Baltimore Child Custody Lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC, Can Help to Resolve Custody Disputes

If you need to modify an existing child custody agreement or are going through a divorce, our experienced Baltimore child custody lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC, can help you to present the best case for custody. You can call us at 443-589-0150 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation at our law offices in Hunt Valley and Towson, Maryland. We represent clients throughout Maryland.

av 2019 rating
avvo client choice award
avvo top contributor award
maryland chamber