According to Business Insider, there are several commonalities among divorced couples. After reviewing a substantial amount of research on marriage and divorce factors and statistics, researchers compiled a list of traits that tend to predict divorce:
- Affection: Newlyweds who are very affectionate with each other may seem to be destined for lifelong love. Yet, that may not always be true. A psychologist following 168 couples for 13 years found couples who were especially affectionate in the early years were more likely to divorce down the road.
- Conflict resolution: The way partners deal with conflict is another good predictor of divorce, according to a study published in the Communication Monographs Couples in which one partner demands attention, while the other withdraws or shuts down are less happy over time and more vulnerable to separation.
- Contempt for partner: Certain behaviors in a marriage, including contempt for a partner, criticism of their character, playing the victim, and blocking off conversation, are highly-predictive of divorce.
- Education level: Half of couples with at least one spouse who did not complete high school end in divorce, compared to 30 percent of marriages between college graduates. Psychologists suspect that lower income level associated with less education leads to more stress on the relationship.
- How couples describe their relationship to others: Spouses who speak about disappointment, chaos, or negativity when describing their relationship are more likely to divorce, according to a study published in the Journal of Family Psychology.
- Husband’s employment status: A Harvard University study found that in heterosexual marriages after 1975, couples wherein the husband did not have a full-time job were more likely to divorce.
- Marital Age: Couples who marry either as teens or after the age of 32 are also most likely to divorce. According to a University of Utah study, couples who marry in their late-twenties have the best odds of success.
Towson Divorce Lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC Guide Clients Through Every Step of the Divorce Process
Whether predicted by science or not, divorce is an unfortunate reality for countless couples every year. With excellent legal counsel, the process can be surprisingly straightforward and stress-free. The Towson divorce lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC are equipped to handle all aspects of family law, including child custody, child support, high-asset divorces, and post-divorce modifications. We always recommend the best legal course of action for your situation to give you and your children the best outcome possible.
To schedule a free consultation, call 443-589-0150, or contact us online. With offices in Towson and Hunt Valley, Maryland, we serve clients throughout the state, including the towns of Cockeysville, Lutherville Timonium, Upper Falls, Phoenix, Riderwood, Sparks Glencoe, Brooklandville, Butler, Stevenson, Glyndon, Monkton, Reisterstown, Pikesville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Boring, Glen Arm, Baldwin, Upperco, and Hydes.