For two reality TV stars, a more serious and tragic reality is now taking place. Retired NBA player, Lamar Odom, and Khloe Kardashian, never officially divorced despite the fact that everyone they were legally divorced. Unfortunately, in addition to having to deal with a tragedy, the couple is learning the hard way about the horrors that can occur when a divorce is never finalized. For example, Ms. Kardashian is responsible for making all medical decisions on Mr. Odom’s behalf due to the fact that he never signed a living will.
Towson Divorce Lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles LLC want to offer you a few tips on how failing to finalize a divorce that could negatively impact your life:
- You cannot remarry because you are still legally married.
- You may have to pay your former spouse’s debt.
- If your spouse disappears, you may be responsible for finding them.
- If your spouse is sued, you could be sued as well.
- Your spouse will likely be responsible for your medical decisions and vice versa.
- Your spouse may be entitled to a portion of your estate.
- Your spouse could claim your pension and work benefits.
- You may not be able to participate in certain online dating sites.
- Lottery winnings are considered matrimonial property.
- Your income could increase substantially, and a claim for alimony could arise.
These are only ten examples of situations that could go wrong if a divorce is not finalized. However, there are dozens of other issues that could occur and likely will unless a divorce is properly completed. To ensure that you do not run into these types of problems, contact Towson divorce lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles LLC.
Towson Divorce Lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles LLC Help Support You through a Difficult Divorce
Going through a divorce is already a tiresome and emotional journey, so don’t let all the time spent go to waste by failing to finalize a divorce. If you, a loved one or someone you know is considering a divorce or is going through one, let our experienced team of Towson divorce lawyers at Huesman, Jones & Miles LLC guide everyone involved through the process of divorce and verify that the divorce has been finalized.
Call us at 443-589-0150 or complete our online contact form to schedule a consultation today. Our offices are located in Hunt Valley, East Pikesville and Towson, Maryland which allows us to conveniently serve clients in Cockeysville, Lutherville Timonium, Upper Falls, Phoenix, Ridgewood, Sparks Glencoe, Towson, Brooklandville, Butler, Stevenson, Glyndon, Monkton, Reisterstown, Pikesville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Boring, Glen Arm, Upperco, Hydes, and Baltimore County.