Mom’s Not the Same — Can Guardianship Help?

It can be devastating when mom goes from the familiar advice-giver, former Girl Scout leader and master gardener to someone new who clearly needs your help and guidance. Family members often need to step in when they discover mom or dad is getting on in years and can no longer cook, isn’t paying bills or opening mail or is no longer able to do things that used to give them pleasure and satisfaction.

According to Maryland’s Department of Aging (MDoA), if an elderly parent needs someone to take responsibility for their well-being and to maintain their property, a guardian may be called for. In the MDoA’s publication, Guardianship and Its Alternatives: A Handbook on Maryland Law, they advise that because this is a complicated multi-step legal process, assistance from an experienced attorney is essential.

The need for a guardian is determined legally based on a person’s disability, physical or mental, to care for themselves. A guardian can be appointed to care for the person, made guardian of the property or both.

Everyone is different and different levels of guardianship are called for. One person may need a guardian to assume care of their property, because filling out forms and keeping track of transactions has become too complicated. Another may need someone to make most of the simple, everyday decisions for him or her, such as what they will wear, what groceries to buy, when to see the doctor. A person may be perfectly capable of telling the judge who they would like to take care of these matters for them, for example, but incapable of doing so themselves.

Either way, guardianship is a profound change for the person concerned, and must be undertaken with care. The MCoA advises that guardianship should be used only if a less-restrictive method isn’t workable.

av 2019 rating
avvo client choice award
avvo top contributor award
Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC is a BBB Accredited Lawyer in Hunt Valley, MD
maryland chamber
A Message to Our Clients About Coronavirus COVID-19:

A Message to Our Clients About Coronavirus COVID-19

At Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC, we view the safety and well-being of our clients, staff and business partners as our highest priority.

The situation regarding the COVID-19 virus is continually changing, and we are following all recommended guidelines to stay healthy.

Although the courts may be closed, our law firm is remains open to serve your legal needs. We are discouraging in person meeting but are happy to arrange for phone or video consultations should you have any concerns about keeping your scheduled appointments with us. We are also able to exchange documents via secure drives or email.

Should you have any concerns regarding an upcoming meeting with us, please contact us online or call 443-589-0150.

Thank you and take care.